“DBEs” (Dept. Budget Earnings)


When hiring an employee into a position, it is important to have the correct funding source associated with the position.

This can be completed during Human Resources’ Onboard Process, or Change PAR Process. Please be sure to complete the forms with the funding source you WANT, rather than what is currently listed for the position.

If the funding source needs to be updated and it is not associated with a Payroll Action through Human Resources, it is possible to update the “DBE”.

  • To find the funding source, the list is available in HR>Main Menu>Payroll for NA>Payroll Distribution>Commitment Accounting>UMBC Valid Combination Table.
  • If a DBE is entered incorrectly, it is possible to fix it retro-actively. The most efficient way to enter a Retro is to do it online.
  •         DBE Instructions:   Detailed Instructions  | Quick Reference | Video

Special Instructions

DBEs that Straddle Fiscal Years